Pages

April 19, 2013

Spring Things Edition: Home Decor, Vintage Stores and Thrifty Shopping!

April 19, 2013
As I've mentioned in the past, I don't spend all of my time in the kitchen. My first love has always been fashion, decor and all things beautiful. So once again, I'm stepping out of the kitchen and into the rest of my home....come with me!

Every year, when the snow starts to melt and the sun feels warm again, I get Spring Fever! I begin to take away all the winter decor, and replace it with things that are lighter, brighter and airy. So here's a collection of what I've been daydreaming of as I get ready for a season of warmer weather in our new house!


Oh Ranunculus!! Where have you been all my life? This year, I have discovered these beautiful blooms. And although they are rather difficult to find in stores, I am determined to have a bouquet of them in my home this spring! I may just have to explore a farmer's market or two. Aren't they just lovely?

I have a similar wreath now hanging on my backdoor. The soft yellow colour sings to me of spring, and so I'll be sure to have some yellow accents around the house this year. 

 photo ThresholdTargetPrintAd2013-4_zps52f9b5e5.jpg

Welcome Target! The popular American store has made its way across our borders, and just opened a few short weeks ago in our local mall. Once the crowds have subsided and the shelves have been restocked (it was a mad-house on opening week), I've had the chance to browse its aisles. This Target brand in particular: Threshold has captured my attention. Doesn't that print ad look great? I love the Tiffany blue/aqua colour that is popular this season. Here are more lovelies that they carry:
Threshold™ Ceramic Wall Clock - True White Threshold Floral Printed Pillow Floral Table Arrangement Orange Ranunculus Threshold™ Urban Accent Rug (2'x3')  
Threshold™ Stoneware Serveware Collection  Threshold™ Scalloped Dinnerware Collection - Coral (all photos taken from Target.com)

I can't wait to get back to Antique and Vintage store exploring. Some of my favorites in Windsor are:

The Vintage House- A beautiful store owned by Lorian Taylor filled with all things vintage from furniture to clothing and decor. Every time I drive by, I'm drawn to the lovely display in the front window. Its where I bought the wreath (similar to above) and where my Husband found an adorable side table for me as a Christmas present this year. Find her on Facebook or take a drive to 4667 Wyandotte Street E. in Pillette Village.

Tango/Magpie Antique Shop- Next door to The Vintage House is this intriguing combination of two shops which carry a little bit of everything and then some. Owner, Sally Taylor, is exactly who you would imagine to
run a shop like this. She has a wealth of information about the history of our community and antiques in general. Sometimes I spend extra time browsing just so I can listen to her share a story with someone about an item she is passionate about. Find the store on Facebook or take a drive to 4661 Wyandotte Street E. in Pillette Village.

Timeless Treasures- Along the quaint strip of shops in Olde Walkerville is this consignment shop which carries mostly furniture and home decor items which are of the unique variety, some older and some new. Its a perfect place to drop into after a light lunch on the weekend, there's always something new to discover. Find the store on Facebook or take a drive down to 1747 Wyandotte Street E. 

Penny Jane's Vintage and More- Across the street and down from Timeless Treasures is this newer addition to the vintage scene in Windsor. Still in Olde Walkerville, this shop fits right into the area like it was always there. Penny Jane's carries more of the vintage clothing, jewelry and accessories variety that makes my heart pitter patter. I've found a beautiful bobble or two in the past that have made my dressy outfits one of a kind. Find the store on Facebook or drive on down to 1585 Wyandotte Street E.

Now I don't want to spoil an Essex county adventure post that is soon to come, but I can't leave out The Dusty Loft Antiques & Collectables in Amherstburg which is a barn full of rustic antiques that is so popular these days! Check them out on Facebook or take a scenic drive on to 5619 Concession Rd 5 North, Amherstburg. 

And here's a few little secrets of the savvy budget shopper who only has few dollars to spend on little bright pretties to make her home feel like spring:

-Buy small potted fresh flowers after popular holidays such as Easter and Mother's day. They are usually on clearance and since they are in soil, they will last longer and provide the pop of colour you need without breaking the bank on fresh bouquets. I found pale pink hydrangeas on clearance for 5 dollars after Easter that I placed in a lace-look ceramic pot (that I found sitting beside the dumpster at my apartment building looking so lonely-free for me!). Voila! Weeks of beauty on the cheap!

-Troll thrifty places like Value Village (one of my biggest secrets I like to call V V Boutique), Bibles for Missions and The Salvation Army for little items that only you see the value in. Some items I always look for are: one of a kind plates to display things on, china tea cups, unique vases, vintage looking furniture or picture frames (a little coat of bright paint is a cheap way to dress these up!) Here are some of my finds:


Cup from Timeless Treasures for under $5 and Plate from Vince's Furniture in Pilette Village for $1
Wine Rack (wine not included ha! ) for under $10 at V V Boutique

Bright purple side table for $4 at V V Boutique, I plan on painting it.
-Last but certainly not least is YARD SALES. Now this activity spills into the summer months as standing out in the rain with your belongings is not the brightest idea. But I would encourage you to keep your eyes peeled for those little signs on the front lawns of your neighbors or do what I do and hop into your car on a Saturday morning and drive to a nice neighborhood to see what people are trying to unload. SOME TIPS: in a minute you will figure out if the sale is to truly get rid of items (STAY)  or make a buck (LEAVE) (you want the people who are moving or downsizing or just updating and not emotionally attached to their Foreman Grill). Don't be afraid to ask for a deal. Lastly, bring lots of smaller change and bills, nothing is worse than asking for a bargain and then proceeding to ask the owner to break a $20. 

Well I truly could go on and on about all of these things that I love, but I'll just have to save something for a future post. So what about you? What gets you in the mood for spring? I'd love to hear from you! 

In the meantime I'll be daydreaming of warmer sunnier days (April showers..blah blah blah) and hoping you find some enjoyment in the things that I've shared. 


Happy Spring, Dear Reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment!

Married with Kitchen © 2014